TEA TIME: Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Tea
Everybody deserves a cup of tea.
Based on research, tea is said to be one of the most beneficial drinks that could improve our health. It have also found that drinking tea can help to reduce cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. It can also be a help for detoxifying your body.
Is it coffee or tea? Probably some will consider themselves as coffee lovers, some may say they’re perfectly fine with tea. But before anything else, try to consider the health benefits that tea possesses.
Drinking tea has been recognized for its capacity to soothe, restore, refresh and relax our body. The real tea came from the Camellia sinensis plant and has only four varieties which includes green tea, black tea, white tea and oolong tea. Know the health benefits of tea:
- It has antioxidants. Tea contains antioxidants which protects us from the damage from pollution. It also helps to keep us young and help in reducing cancer including breast, colon, colorectal, skin and others.
- It has less caffeine than coffee. According to studies, caffeine content varies according to the type of tea you are using. Even though tea contains caffeine, it has less content which ranges from 20 to 90 milligrams per 8 ounces compared to 50 to 120 milligrams in coffee.
It helps in losing weight. Drinking tea helps in reducing weight. According to scientists, the catechins or antioxidants
in the green tea extract helps our body’s ability to burn down fats.
- It reduces the risks of heart attack. When you drink tea, it associates with lowering the cholesterol in your body. Studies says that intake of tea decreases the incidence of heart attack.
Types and Its Benefits
There are different types of teas which varies according to its health benefits and how it can be achieved.
- Black Tea. Is a common type of tea that has a high concentration of antioxidant compounds which has linked to have lower levels of cholesterol. Also, research shown that the people who drinks three or more cups of black tea daily may cut their risk of stroke by 21 percent.
- Green Tea.It is the type of tea which is full of antioxidants called catechins that may help in reducing cancer and heart disease. Based on study, consumption of each cup of green tea daily may lower the risk of cardiovascular disease by 10 percent.
- White Tea. A type of tea which according to Joe Simrany, president of the Tea Association of the USA, in New York City, offers the same potential cardiovascular and cancer-fighting benefits as other teas. It may also benefit the people with diabetes.
- Oolong Tea. Losing weight is the core benefit of this tea type. It is said that the people who drink Oolong tea may burn calories over two-hour period.
Take note of all these because it’s tea time. Cheers to a healthy living!